In 2005, Birmingham’s oldest surviving cycle business, an independent family enterprise, celebrated its centenary. The founder, John Scott, started his business building bicycles around 1905/6. During the day he worked for the Imperial Cycle Company (Later to become New Imperial) at Lower Loveday Street. In 1908 his first entry appeared in the Kelly’s Directory as a cycle manufacturer at 143 Bordesley, Birmingham. By 1930 he had bought the shop next door, number 145.
Later John stopped manufacturing cycles and concentrated purely on cycle sales and repairs. Eventually the business moved to the Coventry Road and then to the Stratford Road, Hall Green where it is presently run by John Scott’s son and one of his grandsons, the other son runs his own cycle shop in Rednal.
Scott Cycles repairs and services all makes and types of cycles, suspension forks, hydraulic brakes. They also sell a wide range of bicycles.